Many people have been referred to a Singapore oral surgeon by a dentist or orthodontist, but most aren't aware of the full scope of services offered by these highly trained specialists. The surgical specialists of the dental profession, Singapore oral and maxillofacial surgeons manage a wide variety if problems related to the mouth, teeth, jaws, face and neck, ranging from procedures to address functional, dental and medical needs to those to address aesthetic issues. Among them are these five procedures commonly provided by Singapore oral surgeons:
- Dental Implants – Singapore oral surgeons perform the surgical placement of dental implants, today's most advanced option for the replacement of missing teeth or ill-fitting conventional dentures. They also perform any preparatory procedures patients may require for long-term success of implant-based restorations, including bone augmentation and/or sinus lifts.
- Jaw Surgery – Jaw surgery is a specialty of Singapore oral and maxillofacial surgeons, including orthognathic surgery – also known as corrective jaw surgery – to resolve skeletal malocclusions, such as overbite, underbite, cross bite or open bite, and aesthetic jaw surgery to correct appearance issues caused by jaw irregularities.
- Wisdom Teeth Removal – One of the procedures most frequently performed in Singapore oral surgery practices is the removal of problematic wisdom teeth, or third molars. The last teeth to emerge in the mouth, these teeth generally begin to develop in a person's teen years or early 20s, and are prone to problems, such as impaction, misalignment and infection.
- Botox – Oral surgeons in Singapore perform Botox injections as well, a procedure that is commonly used to minimize signs of aging caused by overactive facial muscles, such as crow's feet, frown lines or forehead creases, among others. Botox is also used in Botox jaw reduction, a procedure performed by oral surgeons to improve the aesthetics of a square or wide jaw caused by overly developed jaw muscles. While these are non-surgical procedures, the extensive training that oral surgeons undergo in facial anatomy makes them uniquely qualified to perform Botox treatment.
- Dermal Fillers – Another non-surgical procedure that is performed by Singapore oral surgeons is the injection of dermal fillers. These are typically used to enhance facial features, improving the contour of the nose, lips, cheeks or chin, for instance, or to smooth, plump and tighten aging skin, improving wrinkles, lines, creases and loose, drooping skin. For these procedures too, advanced training in facial anatomy makes oral surgeons uniquely qualified to provide exceptional results.
Of course, this is just a small selection of procedures provided by your surgeon in Singapore. These professionals also perform procedures to correct TMJ disorders, treat sleep apnea, address issues caused by facial trauma, treat cleft lip and palate, handle complex tooth extractions and much more. All in all, for the treatment of any functional or aesthetic issue involving the face, neck or jaw, mouth or teeth, seeing a qualified Singapore oral and maxillofacial surgeon first is your best bet.